Most of us would love to have smooth, supple, soft skin with a beautiful texture, but there are myriad reasons why people may experience texture issues with their skin. Healthy, balanced skin is well hydrated, not too oily or dry, and has an even texture without anything scaly, flaky, or bumpy.
What causes poor skin texture?
Imbalanced skin could result from many different factors, many of which work in combination with each other. However, some principal causes are likely involved if you struggle with skin texture issues. The list is long, but knowing the possible causes can help you narrow down what might be causing your specific problem. Any of the following or a combination could contribute to skin texture problems.
- Free Radical Damage
- Poor Diet/lifestyle
- Lack of Sleep
- Improper Skincare
How to get smoother skin
While there are some fantastic benefits to treating the skin directly with things like laser resurfacing to improve skin texture, it’s also important to treat it from the inside out. Prioritizing an anti-inflammatory, balanced diet, reducing stress, and getting quality sleep are all great ways to address the underlying causes that can appear in the skin as unevenness. In addition to these high-level approaches, there are a few more specific ways to encourage an even, healthy skin surface.
- Hydrate by drinking plenty of water and avoiding excessive caffeine and alcohol, which can dehydrate.
- Moisturize daily. (2 times a day is even better.) Choosing a moisturizer that is right for your skin is essential, but even if you have oily skin, moisturizer is a must.
- Apply sunscreen. Minimize sun damage by applying sunscreen, which helps to prevent and address textural issues brought on by premature aging.
- Exfoliate (just not too often.) Generally, once a week is the recommended frequency for exfoliation. Removing built-up, dead skin cells helps to promote a more even texture.
- Consult with your skincare professional to determine what professional treatments can enhance your daily routines. Treatments such as microneedling, dermaplaning, IPL, and laser resurfacing can dramatically improve skin texture, especially when paired with a good home routine.
While skin texture issues can be frustrating, many treatments and resources are highly effective. Most of all, be gentle on yourself and your skin. Your skin does critical jobs: protecting your internal organs, serving as a detoxification pathway, and delineating you as YOU, amongst countless other processes. It and you deserve respect and love, even and especially when there isn’t optimal functioning.