Laser hair removal is the process of treatment by means of exposure to pulses of laser light that will destroy the hair follicles. It is very effective and efficient in damaging the basal stem cells in the hair follicles. However, despite the acceptance of laser hair removal by the people, a lot of people do not know what to do before and after the treatment.
In this article, you will learn about what to do before and after laser hair removal.
What to do before and after laser hair removal
Despite the effectiveness of laser hair removal treatment, it can result into some side effects such as swelling, redness or irritation of the skin, nevertheless, you can guard against such side effects by practicing these actions.
What to do before laser hair removal
Before you perform your laser hair treatment we recommend for you to:
- Always go for a consultation with your Alite Laser service provider (dermatologist) before you perform the laser hair treatment: the service provider will be able to examine you properly and make an estimation of the treatment that you will require.
- You should endeavor to discuss the kinds of medication you are currently taking during the consultation with the service provider because some prescriptions have the potential of causing photosensitivity that can lead to burns.
- Avoid using skin care product with strong ingredients such as retinoid or alpha hydroxyl acid.
- Avoid plucking, waxing, or bleaching your hair for 6 weeks prior to your hair removal treatment because when you pluck out your hair by the root, it will reduce the effectiveness of the treatment.
- You should shave a day prior to your hair removal treatment because it encourages the hair follicles to go into its active growing stage which is the great stage for laser targeting.
- You should always have a shower before your appointment and properly clean the area to be treated to ensure that dirt and oil are removed from the skin.
What to do after laser hair removal
As part of the laser hair treatment, you should practice the following actions after the laser treatment:
- You should imbibe the habit of attending the scheduled follow-up maintenance treatment as directed by the service provider as at when due.
- Avoid exposure to the sun and wear a high-quality sunscreen because exposure to ultra-violet rays can result in skin irritation and can lead to the complication of laser hair treatment.
- Always make use of sunless tanning options like self-tanning products between treatment sessions. However, you should stop 2 weeks prior to the next treatment.
- You should continue shaving instead of plucking your hair in case you need to remove your hair in-between the treatment.
- You should carefully exfoliate the treated skin 2-3 times a week with a washcloth to reduce the risk of developing ingrown hairs.
- Always take tepid showers throughout the first week after the treatment.
- Never use perfumes or deodorants for 2 days after your laser hair treatment.
Without mincing words, the above-mentioned practices are what to do before and after laser hair treatment and they will go a long way in helping you in your laser hair treatment.
Did you know Alite Laser in Austin offers specials for laser hair removal? Call or text us today for a free consultation! (512) 328-1555